ASPIRE — Asian Sisters Participating in Reaching Excellence — is holding their 6th annual day-long Asian American Women in Leadership (AAWIL) Conference on Saturday, October 16th at Boston University. This incredible conference — which traditionally attracts between 150 – 200 participants — is the only conference geared towards Asian American women on the East Coast, and it has annually inspired and empowered Asian American women; this year’s conference looks to be no exception.
This year’s conference theme — “Discovering the Leader Within” — offers workshops that focus on topics faced by professional and activist Asian American women. Some of the panels include: “Confronting the Glass Ceiling”, “Growing Up Asian”, “Mental Health”, and “Road Less Taken” (the last of which spotlights the stories of APIA women who took unconventional paths to success). ASPIRE writes that the goals of this year’s conference are as follows:
- Build upon last year’s theme of “Fearless Leadership: Taking Charge with Confidence”
- Gather cross-generational Asian American women from across the continental US with diverse personal and professional backgrounds to share their experiences of how exploring and learning allowed them to flourish
- Discuss the various aspects of continuous leadership development to make lasting, positive changes in our communities
- Celebrate and explore ways Asian American females “Discover the Leader Within”
The keynote speakers at this years’ conference are two incredible APIA women who truly embody this year’s theme of leadership:
- Linda Chin, the president of the Asian Task Force Against Domestic Violence is the morning speaker. ATADV is an East Coast non-profit that focuses specifically on issues of domestic violence within Asian American households.
- Jeannie Suk is the conference’s afternoon speaker. She is an Assistant Professor at Harvard Law, and is the first Asian American woman to hold a tenure-track position at that institution.
Discounted ticket prices are currently available that knock $15 off the normal ticket price; these specials are only available until October 9th. After that, registration will remain open online until the date of the conference.
Please check out the conference website for more information, and go here to register your attendence to the conference. Click here for the press release to read about how the conference of past years has impacted its attendees.