Today is the 74th anniversary of the signing of Executive Order 9066 which resulted in the forced displacement and incarceration of over a hundred thousand innocent Japanese and Japanese American citizens under deplorable conditions. Every February 19, the community comes together to commit to remembering the legacy of Japanese American incarceration, and Japanese American history.
Here are some posts and videos to mark today’s #DayOfRemembrance.
- Part One: 12 Images of anti-Japanese xenophobia
- Part Two: 10 images of Japanese American internment
- Part Three: 12 Images of Japanese American strength & patriotism
- Fred Korematsu and the courage to defend your country by defying it
- “Allegiance” Gives Voice and Life to Japanese American History
After the jump is George Takei’s full TEDTalk from which the quote above is taken.