Are you a recent college graduate with an interest in getting into the Asian American non-profit advocacy sector? Asian Americans Advancing Justice (AAAJ)’s Asian American Justice Center (AAJC) is seeking an awesome Advocacy Communications fellow. It could be you!
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC (Advancing Justice | AAJC) has an opening for a full-time, advocacy communications fellow. The fellowship requires a three-month commitment beginning in October and the fellow will receive a stipend of $5000 for his/her work.
More details after the jump!
Title: Advocacy Communications FellowshipTerm: ImmediatelyStatus: Fellowship, three-month commitment beginning in October 2014.
Position Summary: Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC (Advancing Justice | AAJC) has an opening for a full-time, advocacy communications fellow. The fellowship requires a three-month commitment beginning in October and the fellow will receive a stipend of $5000 for his/her work.
This is a great opportunity for a recent graduate looking to gain experience working for a civil rights organization. The communications fellow will work closely with the director of strategic communications to help develop content and create effective and impactful communications strategies that shape the public debate and bring about change on key civil rights policy issues.KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Developing key talking points and one-pagers on policy issues
- Conducting research on civil rights issues such as voting rights, immigration, racial justice and privacy
- Developing content for Advancing Justice | AAJC’s website
- Assisting in developing and implementing press strategies including writing press releases, op-eds, editorial board memos, letters to the editor, etc.
- Writing content for social media platforms
- Creating shareable graphics for social media
- Assisting in the development of digital media campaigns
- Compiling media lists and media clips
- Assisting in writing email action alerts
- Performing administrative duties as assignedQUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism and/or communications or public relations
- Superior writing skills with experience writing quickly and accurately on deadline
- Demonstrated ability to conduct thoughtful research and meet deadlines
- Experience working as an intern or reporter for a newspaper, magazine or a nonprofit organization.
- Experience working on digital campaigns and using social media effectively for an organization or business.
- Knowledge of AP style
- Commitment to progressive civil rights causes
- Experience using Drupal a plus, not required
- Experience in graphic design a plus, not required