Janet Liang, a vibrant 25 year old UCLA graduate and a leukemia patient who spent years championing leukemia awareness and Asian American bone marrow registration, passed away last week. In Janet’s memory, this site is partnering with a network of other prominent Asian American sites to host 170 in 7: A Bone Marrow Cyberdrive in Memory of Janet Liang.
Leukemia is a type of blood cancer and the most common cancer to affect children and young teens. Treatment to save a leukemia patient’s life often requires a bone marrow transplant from a “perfect match” donor – a donor whose blood matches a recipient’s blood for 10 separate genetic markers.
Unfortunately, Asian American and other non-White leukemia patients are much less likely to find a “perfect match” donor than White leukemia patients. This is because Asian Americans and other minorities are significantly underrepresented in Be The Match, the national bone marrow registry used to search for and match potential bone marrow donors with recipients.
Janet made it her mission to register Asian American bone marrow donors, and thanks in part to her efforts, at least 18 bone marrow matches were made to recipients nationwide. However, last week, Janet passed away without finding a perfect match for herself. Today, many other Asian American leukemia patients are still waiting to find their perfect match, like 2-year-old Jeremy who was recently diagnosed with leukemia. To celebrate Janet’s life and her legacy, we want to register 170 new potential bone marrow donors in Janet’s name in just 7 days.
Be one of the 170 in 7:
Registration is free for the donor, convenient and secure. Here’s how to be one of the 170 in 7:
- Click on the link: http://join.bethematch.org/TeamJanet. Fill out the forms to request a free, do-it-yourself cheek swab kit.
- Tweet about it using #170in7 to be counted! Click the button to send a Tweet to your followers: TweetIf you don’t have a Twitter account, send an email to jenn [at] reappropriate [dot] co to be counted!
And that’s it! Less than ten minutes of your time can help you save a life!
In about one month, a cheek swab kit will be sent to you in the mail, along with instructions and a pre-paid return envelope. Follow the instructions to swab your cheeks and return the kit. If you are matched (only 1 in 540 registered donors are ever matched), you will then be contacted and asked if you would like to donate your bone marrow. Registering is not a commitment that you must donate; it is only to help match recipients with potential donors.
Most donors are never matched. But if you are matched and if you do choose to donate your bone marrow, that donation is likely to save a young person’s life.
Other Ways to Help Out: Donate to AADP and/or to the Liang family
Donor registration is free for the donor because AADP and other non-profit organizations cover the costs of donor registration through charitable donations. If you are unable to register as a bone marrow donor, please donate to AADP to help fund registration costs for other donors, or to the Liang family (PayPal account using email@example.com as the recipient, or checks payable to “Janet Liang” sent to PO box 1526, Pleasanton CA 94566).
Other Ways to Help Out: Spread the Word
If you are already registered, please help spread the word about the 170 in 7 bone marrow cyberdrive through Twitter and Facebook. If you would like to join your site to this partnership or if you would like more information about the 170 in 7 bone marrow cyberdrive, please go here.
170 in 7 is a partnership between the following: 8Asians, AARisings, Angry Asian Man, Asia Pacific Arts, Asian American Donor Program (AADP), bigWOWO, ChannelAPA, Cheekswab.org, Disgrasian, Frances Kai-Hwa Wang, Jeff Yang (columnist, Wall Street Journal Online), Jook Time, JozJozJoz, Kimchi Mamas, Racebending, Reappropriate, Remembering Vincent Chin, Rice Daddies, Schema Magazine, V3Con, and a special partnership with Team Janet and Jeremy Needs You.
To add your site to the list, please go here.
About the Drive
170 in 7 will be running from September 17, 2012 to September 24, 2012. Our goal is to register 170 new potential bone marrow donors in 7 days in memory of Janet Liang.
We would love to add more partners to this week-long bone marrow donor cyberdrive. To join, please contact Jenn for more information.
To Spread the Word
Please return to this post for aggregated and updated information on the campaign.
Janet Liang Memorial Posts:
- ChannelAPA: Janet Liang passes away
- 8Asians: Janet Liang Dies after Receiving Bone Marrow Transplant
- Reappropriate: RIP Janet Liang
- Angry Asian Man: Rest in Peace Janet Liang
Monday’s Posts (Sept 17):
- Schema Magazine: Be one of the 170 in 7 today! a bone marrow cyberdrive in memory of Janet Liang
- Angry Asian Man: In Memory of Janet Liang: Be One of the 170 in 7
- AARisings: Be one of the 170 in 7
- Rice Daddies: For Janet Liang and for all our children, be one of #170in7
- Tao Jones (SpeakEasy column, Wall Street Journal): Why the Rise of Asia In Fashion Isn’t As Beautiful As It Seems
- ChannelAPA: In Memory of Janet Liang #170in7 cyberdrive
- Reappropriate: 170 in 7: An Overwhelming Response from the Asian American Community in Memory of Jane
- Asia Pacific Arts: 170 in 7: Bone marrow cyberdrive in honor of Janet Liang
Tuesday’s Posts (Sept 18):
- Jook Time: In memory of Janet Liang: Be one of the #170in7 today!
- CheekSwab: #170in7, a bone marrow cyberdrive in loving memory of Janet Liang
- bigWOWO: In memory of Janet Liang
- Frances Kai-Hwa Wang: 170 in 7: a bone marrow cyberdrive in memory of Janet Liang
- Remembering Vincent Chin: 170 in 7: a bone marrow cyberdrive in memory of Janet Liang
Wednesday’s Posts (Sept 19):
- Frances Kai-Hwa Wang: Posts from #170in7 bone marrow cyberdrive in memory of Janet Liang
- Remembering Vincent Chin: Posts from #170in7 bone marrow cyberdrive in memory of Janet Liang
- V3Con: Honoring Janet Liang with a bone marrow cyberdrive in her memory #170in7
- 8Asians: #170in7: Bone marrow cyberdrive in memory of Janet Liang
- JozJozJoz: Asian American blogs team up for bone marrow cyberdrive in memory of Janet Liang #170in7
Thursday’s Posts (Sept 20):
- Jook Time: Why be one of the #170in7?
Friday’s Posts (Sept 21):